Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Irritating but lovely

The Same Sky
by Amanda Eyre Ward

It agonizes me to say anything bad about such beautiful and important stories, so let me get it over with.  If the alternating chapter/character method of telling two person's stories at the same time irritates you as much as it does me, I'd suggest this: Just read every other chapter and then go back and read the missed ones.  I don't mean this to be a spoiler but I don't want you to go along like I did, hoping for something that will never happen.  My anticipation ruined the book for me.

The stories are beautiful because they're so real, so hopeful in a world of hopelessness.  They star a group of people that you frequently want to hug.  I want them in my dining room, sharing a bowl of posole and a steaming hot cup of chocolate.  I applaud an author who can make characters come alive so well and tell stories that we need to hear. 

No comments: