Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Bad examples but great Girrrrl


Evolution, Me, and Other Freaks of Nature
by Robin Brande

 Being totally unable to finish my current printed book, I've been not allowing myself to start another.  I've finally decided to give up on it and get on with my life.  It's a good book--Japan At War, an Oral History--and I highly recommend it to all history buffs.  In fact I'm not going to completely quit, just move it to the end of the list.

But I did manage to finish an audiobook. A great audiobook.  I'm beginning to think Robin Brande is a genius--she starts out with a lesson to tell but tells it so well you don't really see that you're being lectured.  Like Mary Poppins, she hides her medicine in a spoon full of sugar.

In this case the lesson involves evolution, God, and the separation of church and state.  Plus some on bullying, family problems, puppy love, and the importance of honesty.  She nailed 'em all.

My only complaint--and you need to read it to see if you agree--is with the 'articles' she wrote, in particular the second one.  Was that really a sensible parallel?  It seemed like an absurd interpretation, one that any Biblical scholar--or anyone else--would see as utter nonsense.  That parable--her meaning--no connect.  Even the first article is a bit of a stretch, because selective breeding by humans has been known about forever, although it took Darwin to help explain how nature did the same as humanity. Knowing about selective breeding isn't the same as knowing about natural selection.

No comments: