Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Better than Meh but


Searching the Ruins: Growing Up in WWII Germany
by

As Marie Kondo would say, it certainly didn't thrill with pleasure.  It's a good description of a unique time and place and thus needed to be written...but all it did for me is teach me that I didn't particularly need to read it.  It got interesting enough to finish, but I learned only this--humans haven't changed much in 100 years.  There are still mothers and fathers who think an expedient marriage is the best hope for a daughter without fortune.  And many more who don't see the point of wasting a university education on a daughter.

My own parents--in 1976 U.S.--didn't have the money to pay for a college education for either of their kids, but if they had, they wouldn't have preferred the daghter over the son. (I hope)  But in hundred of societies around the world, they would have.

Interesting perspective of the years after the war from a child growing up.  But for a memoir, shallow and unenlightening.

No comments: