Wednesday, July 27, 2016

but mainly I feel bad about never reading her before now


I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman
by Nora Ephron

I enjoyed every word. I'd gotten the impression it was going to be outrageously funny but I didn't find it so, however, chuckles were induced; along with smirks, giggles, and explosive grins. As a martini, this collection is perfectly dry.

Funny or not, it was delicious! As a woman getting on in years, I identified with every word. But that doesn't mean you have to be a middle-aged woman to love this stuff. Maybe I don't "feel bad about my neck" just yet, but I definitely feel bad about my ears--I swear they're bigger than they used to be. And my nose that sprouts hairs like a chia pet. And my upper lip has a permanent five-o-clock shadow.

A bit of the book isn't about aging at all. There's a funny story about working in the White House during the Kennedy years and another one about how she fell in and out of love with Bill Clinton.

I can't wait to get my hands on another book of her stories. I even bookmarked a search in the Huffington Post online. She's addictive.

No comments: