Sunday, September 18, 2016

Running AND recipes

Eat and Run
by Scott Jurek

I devoured this book and it made me run faster.

Okay, kidding. I wish it had. But I did devour the book and so I don't have much to say about it, except...Burp!

Scott Jurek seemed to start out running somewhat by accident. He'd been hanging out with a friend (Dusty),  who had just run a fifty mile race and wanted Scott to help him train for next year. He agreed, to get into shape for skiing...but possibly also because he just wanted to be wild and free like Dusty. to . From there, he didn't look back...but the back kept pulling. "Sometimes you just do things" ran through his head when the path became tedious--it's the phrase often repeated by his father as he was struggling to care for kids and a wife slowly succumbing to muscular dystrophy. His running resonates with the discipline learned in a childhood of hard work and missed opportunity. The perserverance is clearly there...but the joy?


I think it's there, too.  Anyway he was only in his early-to-mid 30s when the book ended. Maybe the joy comes later.

No comments: