Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Well, at least I'm Older

Older Faster Stronger: What Women Runners Can Teach Us All About Living Younger, Longer

by Margaret Webb


I want a copy of this for my own. It fills you enthusiasm, and except for the advice about diet, it's full of useful information.   I tend to overlook the importance of strength training, even upper body strength, in running.  But to run strong you need a strong core--and even if I find out that's total nonsense, I'll let it slide. I want to be stronger, too, and if it helps my running, all the better.

My only issue with the diet part is that I don't think the one she chose (semi-Paleo) is the right one for everyone. Different diets can serve different purposes. If your goal is to get strong, slim down fast, and run a marathon, it may be a great diet. But what if your goal is to live long and run ultras, or to hike the Himalayas? Not so sure.

But back to the beginning. Ms. Webb is hitting menopause and having mood swings and angst worthy of the worst teenager.  In the middle of her 50th year, she somehow, miraculously decides to get into the best physical shape she's ever been in her life.  Hours of research accompany her hours of training, and both come to surprising conclusions.

I've always assumed women can't build muscle without superhuman effort, and can't build muscle at all after menopause.  Not true.  I've assumed that women athletes are all sensible people who pay attention to injury and cut back when needed. Not true, either. And I've assumed that once a person gets sufficiently fast to finish a marathon, they're so hooked on running that they've become a lifetime addict, never having self-doubts again. This isn't the first book to drive that one home, but the author asks the question near the end, What next?

 I like her answer.

No comments: