Thursday, September 22, 2016

what if a hundred cats purr....

What if?
Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions

by

I loved this and I got tired of it and I still think it's great. Just the idea of answering stupid questions with intelligent answers is a hoot, and the research for the answers takes the reader in places he never dreamed he'd go. What if you sucked all the water off earth and dumped it on Mars? If you dropped a frozen steak from space, would it be cooked when it hit the ground? What would happen if everyone on earth stood close together and jumped in the air?

If you really need to know the answers to those--and many more--questions, read this book.  The only reason I got tired of it was that I was listening to it while trying to speed up my jogging, so I kept losing the thread of the narrative. Don't do that. Better to read it on paper, and then you can take advantage of the drawings and illustrations. Plus, if you get interrupted, you can easily back up.

No comments: