Wednesday, August 16, 2017

State of the Garden Interrupted



by short vacation.


Big Cedar Lodge is really nice but the grounds are awfully noisy. I think a "cabin" at Beaver's Bend is more my speed.  I went jogging this morning on the 5K trail.  I planned to do two miles, but I seem to have lost the trail on the way out because I never saw the 1-mile marker.  (Saw the .9 mile)  On the way back, I lost the trail again and ended up going a good bit further than I intended.  Basically, I got lost.  I ended up going for over 40 minutes and no clue how far.

By the way: Ozark Mountains trails are not the same as Northeast Texas roads. Guess how?

White River Catfish House is worth a detour anytime you're anywhere near Branson, Missouri or within a 90-mile radius thereof. Get the jalapeno cornbread.  The Hungry Hunter is indeed a good breakfast spot, but watch out for the cinnamon rolls--cream cheese icing.  Too much icing on the cake. Also, no pecans and not enough cinnamon.  Great sausage gravy! Lovely biscuits!  I thought hashbrowns came with my order but either I was mistaken or the kitchen was.  Definite do-over, but I'll make sure I'm ordering what I want and I'll maybe try the French Toast next time.

On the way back we passed Ingalls Road. Could it be?  Nope--coincidence.  Rocky Ridge Farm, where Laura Ingalls Wilder lived her adult years, is farther north. Next time...and maybe sneak in a dinner at you-know-where.

.

No comments: