Tuesday, August 1, 2017

State of the Garden Report, almost August

Due to missing two weekends in a row on family business, I thought I was going to have to post sad pics of weedy, bug-eaten, tired beans past due for the compost pile. But instead I found







Peppers!


Peppers, and okra of course, love the heat.  Okra can take hot and dry but peppers prefer a little water, and if you keep peppers watered enough, they're only just coming into their own in the hundred degree heats of July.  The ones on the left are tabasco peppers, which Ed is going to smoke and make pepper sauce with. Then I have just plain old "chili peppers", that liven up my curries and also seem to be one of the cats' favorite toys.  If I leave peppers on the counter, they gradually migrate all over the house.  Not a problem--the cats never seem to eat them, and they're easy to spot on the brown carpet.




And tiny little Thai ornamental peppers. I use them to ornament my intestines, via stir-fry.  We also have bananas, Italian frying peppers, and various sweet salad peppers. But they're segregated from the hot ones. It's all about racial purity.







Then I found this tiny guardian of my last sweet fruits in the tomato patch. I'm told that her sisters build huge webs overnight in the walkways, but she's in just the right place.  Love ya!




No comments: