Monday, January 22, 2018

Gardening In My Roots: Texas calls this winter?


After a few episodes of single digit lows, we're back in a pattern of 30 to 60F and dry. Very dry. My swampland is turning into a desert.  (Literally--that's the current prediction for this part of the continental interior. I just hoped it wouldn't happen in my lifetime.)

This weekend I prepped the beds for carrots, spinach, lettuce, peas and the Brassica transplants, which are doing quite nicely in my bedroom under an assortment of closely placed grow lights.








The garden looks like dirt. Disturbed dirt. Don't be fooled by those scraps of green--those are pieces of Sprite boxes I was using for make a walkway between the beds.  Before I started working, there was a good bit of green. Note: Hairy Vetch makes a GREAT green manure. It literally grew all winter. I should have turned it over sooner, to give it more time to rot back into the soil.




Stay tuned to next weekend. I'm going to Plant Peas.

No comments: