Sunday, January 14, 2018

Last YA of 2017

Saint Anything
by Sarah Dessen

I wrote this review once before and seem to have lost it.  So here goes Try #2.

The moral of the story is: if you're a self-centered, overcontrolling, insensitive moron, don't have children! Okay--I'm a parent--that's my personal reaction to the parents in the story.  Younger readers, who identify with the kids, would say things like, "trust your feelings; don't assume your parents always know what's best; help your friends when they need help and deal with the consequences."
Ms. Dessen writes well and I was a little reminded of her other book, Just Listen, in a good way. This is by no means a carbon copy, but it again deals with the themes of speaking out and making yourself into the person you want to be, even if that means you have to disappoint your parents. Be brave; make noise; grow up.
But I'm beginning to over analyze, and that's not fair to the book. It's fast and fun and even a little scary; as a young person I would have empathized completely, recognized myself, cried and screamed and smiled and gone a little giddy at the mushy stuff.

I should read more books about people my own age...but would I like them?

No comments: