Monday, February 4, 2019

Gardening Roots, Does February Make Spring?


I did not plant rutabaga on Saturday, but this article made me want to:

Somewhere, in the misty meadows of Central Europe, a turnip got frisky with a cabbage, and the rutabaga was born.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/kitchen-notes/what-rutabaga-does-better-than-anyone-else

I planted snap peas, spinach, lettuce, mesclun, bok choy, kohlrabi, and broccoli. The plants in the picture are from the store--I'd meant to start my own, but January bypassed my good intentions and I failed to start. The bok choy and kohlrabi were direct-seeded into the ground, which may have been a waste of seed but it's worked in the past.


I also loosened the soil in one of the other beds and spread compost. The soil had a very fine, pleasant texture, but on reflection that might mean anything good. That particular bed has been under cultivation longer than any others; last year it had lettuce, broccoli and okra and none of them did very well. Also, I didn't see a single earthworm. Last week, working a different bed, I saw loads of 'em.  More compost!



I found this masquerading as a noxious weed--
Is it my fault we have a certain weed here that looks a lot like carrots?

No comments: