Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Yet another Hollywood memoir--what's my deal?

The Girl on the Balcony
by Olivia Hussey

A little long, but always entertaining. The most unexpected thing about this television, Hollywood and theater star was her friendship with the guru she called Baba. He seemed to be the real deal--prayerful, insightful, loving and honest. I wish I'd known him.

If you're a person who is interested in Hollywood in the late 1960s and 70s, you have to read this book. Most of the name dropping was lost on me; of course I knew Dean Martin but not his son whom she married, and Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando and the many, many other actors she worked with in her long career.  But there's much more to this story than, "I saw him," or "I worked with her, her and her." There's a true story of a flawed and wonderful human being.

No comments: