Monday, July 8, 2019

Second (for me) of the series

The Silence of the Library
by Miranda James

I was about to condemn this book in disgust. After forcing us to read numerous ever-lengthening passages of a melodramatic girl detective novel from the 1950's, she didn't even include the imaginary book's ending. But on second thought, I decided I was grateful not to be subjected to it. She wrote a synopsis of it, just enough to explain how the detective (a part-time librarian) used it as a clue to figure out his own mystery.

So this book, the second of my three "cat mystery" series to try, is getting a solid B rating from me. Good enough to read another, but not good enough to seek another one out.

One point in its favor is that the cat behaves like a cat. The first series I read had a cat that exhibited strongly un-catlike behaviors.  But this cat--Diesel--acts just like a real cat.  He sleeps, begs for food, scratches on closed doors, and trips up people when darting out after a thrown toy.  About the only improvement I could ask for is that he throw up from time to time--on the good furniture, of course.

No comments: