Friday, November 22, 2019

Garlic Gripes

So I've wasted an absurd amount of time on the Internet trying to find support for why I hate garlic powder. And I have failed. So in addition to the time lost, I have lost faith in my own judgement.

Here's the most informative article I found:
In defense of garlic powder  by Ari LeVaux

On the other hand, my research suggests this: (1) if you can taste the garlic powder in the finished dish, it's too much; and (2) old, stale garlic powder is insipid. So maybe I wasn't crazy in thinking that the turkey at a relative's house was awful on account of the garlic powder--it was indeed too much and it was indeed old and stale.

So...powdered or no, does garlic belong on turkey at all? Most recipes use it; my mother never did. Let us see........
Garlic, garlic, garlic. Ina Garden, Martha Stewart, Alton Brown--they all use garlic.
Bah!


No comments: