Monday, November 18, 2019

Not that funny warning

Of Thee I Zing
by Laura Ingraham

Such a promising beginning!
Children should not be named after a piece of furniture, a planet, a fruit, or an herb. Today's little ones are saddled with some of the most ridiculous names ever--it's as if the parents are trying to force the kids to hate them early.
She goes on with a hilarious list of celebri-tot (her word) names.

This is followed by some swipes at fashion, slutty clothing, music lyrics, and colloquial speech. I found that amusing, so I kept reading...

And then came endless pages of boring gripe sessions about the same old stuff that has been annoying us since the 1970s. She ran out of steam after the first chapter but stupid me kept reading. Oh--sorry--that should be, "stupid I kept reading." Among other boring subjects were grammar (use of there vs. their); airline seats (she's a closet fat-shamer); teenage trick-or-treaters (Erma Bombeck wrote about this twenty years ago and she was able to make it funny); holidays (for crying out loud--there's even been songs written about Christmas in October--why I the would would I want to read her repetitive rants?)

I wish I'd stopped after the first chapter.

No comments: