Monday, November 11, 2019

Monday and leaving Lake O' the Pines

Another late start, and after a second cup of coffee and a good bit of deep thought, we decided not to take the boat out on Monday morning.  We figured that by the time we got everything loaded and packed, it would be past noon (and it was).  The dogs and I went for a good long walk instead. Sadly, Izzy had developed loose bowels. There was no way my little blue baggies were going to pick up the droppings she left in the grass.

I heard a couple of slow drummings in the trees, and looking up, could see a large swathe of bark stripped off a dead pine. Could it be...?  After a trip back to campground area four to check out the site I wanted for next time, we wandered back to the dead pine. Finally I saw him--Pileated Woodpecker! Just as I'd hoped. Those guys are unmistakable.

Then we loaded up the boat...no birds except this sweet guy








And proceeded with all the usual packing up. I was mildly bummed because there had been so little bird watching this trip. I can't blame the boat--for a couple of the days it was too windy and birds don't seem to get out much in the wind. At least not so I could see.




Bird summary: chickadees, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Pileated Woodpecker, common crow, bluebirds, that annoying lttle yellow bird (probably pine warbler), Bald eagle (two adults and a probable immature, circling), Turkey and black vultures, cardinal, mockingbird, blue jay, double-crested cormorant, probable osprey, American White Pelican, mallard. 17 species. Sad.

Trip home, without stops, took 2:31. (From 1:19 to 3:50)

No comments: