Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Liking these better as I go along

Stalking Ground
by Margaret Mizushima

My ratings of the third and fourth books of this series (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery) were high but not stellar. I'd just finished up a couple of very well-written action/thriller mysteries, and these just weren't as good.. I liked a lot of things about them, but the action wasn't up to par, the romantic relationship was soppy, and the author had a weird habit of repeating certain phrases that annoyed me. In particular, every time she takes her dog into action, she "revs up his prey drive with pitter-patter." If it's so absolutely necessary that she does this, despite the fact that he's a magic dog who appears to read minds, can't she vary the wording a little?

I've complained about other things, too. But don't let those grievances keep you from trying out this series--there's a lot to like. She puts some effort into making her co-stars realistic and consistent in their behavior; the plot and action is decently original; at times--like last night right before bedtime--they're hard to put down.

No comments: