Sunday, September 6, 2020

Sunday at Cedar Ridge Park (july 26)

 I wasn't up particularly early, but we had pretty much everything ready so we were able to make a quick trip out with the boat. Not sure what time we hit the water, but it was certainly earlier than ten. It was cloudy, but not as much as the day before. We were burning up out there. I'd forgotten to wear swimming gear and so had Edward, so we didn't take a dip in the lake.

The fish were down there but not biting. Ed had a really nice, big bass. I think he said 16 inches but it could have been 14. I forgot to check to see if it was a largemouth or a smallmouth. I had a blue cat and he had a smallish crappie. Then--finally!--Edward snagged a fish. A lovely catfish, would have made supper for one if we'd been into cooking.

I was fishing with the ten-foot pole right next to Ed, and the lines got wrapped around each other. It was a real mess and it took him a good while (5 minutes?) to almost get them untangled. And just as he was on the last few loops, a couple of folk on a jet ski swam over and asked if we could give them a tow. It was a borrowed vehicle and the motor had been kicking out on them. It wouldn't have been a bit of a problem to help, and it wasn't, but in the confusion of it all Ed laid down the fishing poles and the lines tangled up again. And I made it worse by hastily shoving them to the front of the boat when they turned on a motor--the trolling motor is "fore", so I had the lines "aft", but the real motor is "aft" so I moved them "fore".

In any event, I got them disentangled (with help from a knife). And Ed got the people towed far enough they could swim the jet-ski over to the dock. Then we fished some more...but our heart wasn't into it. Edward had gotten his legs and various spots on his body sunburned the day before, and even though the clouds kept trying to build up, the sun went on scorching him. So we quit and trucked back in.

I'm not sure when we got back, but it was probably three-ish. I walked the dogs, had a quick sandwich for lunch and took a well needed shower. (I stunk) Then sat outside for a bit, talking to my brother on the phone and watching the clouds. 

Molly found me this lizard:

 

 

 

 Storms were building up in the south and west, but the wind was blowing from the east and that's the direction the rain came from. Just a sprinkle...but I waited and waited and it didn't seem to be going away....

Until I gave up and came inside. It quit, of course.

No comments: