Friday, September 11, 2020

Wednesday, leaving Cedar Creek Campground (July 29)

Nothing much happened this departure day. Edward left before I got up, of course, although the moleskins we'd given him for his blisters stayed behind.

I had my same old camping breakfast: a poached egg with canned pinto beans and rice. Boring but I like it, and the preparation is minimal. It requires two bowls and one spoon to prepare. I could probably figure out a way to do it in just one bowl if I tried, the way I do when eating egg with spinach and rice.



We left at about 10:40 and arrived at about 2:42, but the unhookup/rehookup took 40 minutes. I don't count us as "home" until all vehicles are parked in their proper spots and the electricity is running.

It was a hot drive. We did a short gas stop at Buc'ees in north Temple, but once again we didn't go inside at all. After that all I had to do was follow the RV and keep an eye on the boat...and find myself going 80 in a 75 mph zone when a cop appears over the Mammoth Mobile in front. He didn't consider us worthy of his attention.

We took the return route around Dallas on 635, but instead of doing the I-30/George Bush Freeway jog, we just stayed on until we hit TX-75 in Richardson. I may want to reconsider taking that route when going south. I remember the section of 635 through Garland as being exceptionally icky, so that's the reason for the zig-zag on I-30.  Maybe it's worth another try. Or maybe not.

Birds seen: Canyon Wren! Roadrunner, Black Vulture, Northern Cardinal, Bewick's Wren, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron. Two big hawks of unknown species.

Trip Notes:
1. The tuna salad made a great supper, but the rye bread not so much. I suspect that it's the variety--Pepperidge Farm's Jewish Rye. Don't repeat.
2. Pack a little less food for myself. Especially fruit--I always take twice as much as I eat.
3. Prioritize bird watching over fishing, especially if there's a chance of getting a picture of a new bird. I managed to miss at least four perfect photo ops of the canyon wren.
4. When taking a person out on the boat, personally supervise their application of sunscreen. Even it if makes you into a old mother nag.
5. Try to force yourself to write some trip notes every day, even if it's just jotting down bits and pieces.

No comments: