Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Christmas Eve at Inks Lake

 Thursday, 12/24

The temperature dropped precipitously during the night, from a high around 70 to a cold, overnight low. Edward arrived at about ten a.m., just as I was getting ready for a long jog. By the time I returned they guys had done all their talking and Edward was napping on the sofa. We weren't technically supposed to let him sleep--he had the rather intelligent plan to trying to stay awake as much as possible so he could go to sleep at night--but how do you wake a sleeping son?

some veins in the rock -- need to check my geology book for this:

The jog was very enjoyable and I don't remember that we did anything else interesting all the rest of the day. Ed grilled steaks and salmon; we all ate together and watched Impractical Jokers.

It wasn't until the next day that I realized my brain had gone zombie for the trip. I think it was the heartsick worry over our precious Jeep--pushed into the back of my mind but nonetheless there, niggling me. I didn't feel up to writing anything in this journal; I didn't even pull out a book to read. I just sat and did crossword puzzles while staring at the television.

Did I see any birds? Who knows. Canada Geese, Coots, Osprey, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Mockingbirds, Ruby-Crowned Kinglet, Black Vultures, and suchlike. 



We exchanged Christmas presents. And that was that.






No comments: