Sunday, March 14, 2021

The Pants of Perspective

Louisiana Rambles
Exploring America's Cajun and Creole Heartland
by Ian McNulty

An excellent rambling romp through the Cajun lands and the coast of Louisiana. I wish I'd read it before traveling there--I consider it recommended reading for all potential travelers.  It's not a travel guide or a travel log; it jumps all over and covers hit-and-miss parts of the state that he visits. Some of it is simply factual, although the facts are pleasantly and openly colored by his own considered options. For instance, he describes the different flavors of andouille available in an area where small-time butchers create their crafts. He doesn't say this one is "better" or "worse", but he does tell the characteristics that make him prefer one over the other.

One chapter has a nice long list of restaurants, all of which I want to visit one day. But he more-or-less concludes that you're likely to find great food at even the most unlikely of off-road dumps. I think I once read that "there's no such thing as a bad Cajun cook." I'm sure he would agree.

The only off-putting part of the book for me are the chapters where he describes getting wasted and partying hearty with natives. Yes, I understand that's a part of enjoying the Cajun experience. In my younger days I'd have never said no to a brew or three to wash down the crawfish tails and brighten up the conversation. But, sadly, it leaves the non-imbibing a little saddened. I skipped those chapters, although they were as interesting and amusing as all the rest of this excellent book.



No comments: