Friday, April 1, 2022

Mammoth pays a short grandkid visit

 Monday 21 March 2022

Home to Dana Peak Park on Stillhouse Hollow Lake

Actual time 4:00
Stops: 7 minute pee shop in rest area; 22 minute gas stop at Love's--there was a long wait at the pumps, with many trucks in all lanes. They all appeared to be slow.

This is it. Then end of our long layoff and the start of the spring camping season. I didn't schedule anything for February or early March, thinking the weather would be so cold and miserable that we wouldn't want to go anywhere. Other than the same old places in central Texas we've been so many times.

That was dumb of me, because there are still plenty of places in Central Texas we haven't been. But I also wanted to get some work done in the garden, and I have.

But now it's spring...pretty much. As the lady on JRW said, it's a late spring in North Texas. That's because it's so bone-crunchingly, utterly dry.  Yesterday I finally saw my redbud tree starting to squeeze out a little faint pink. I've been giving sugar water to the bees because there aren't any flowers yet. I may put out one last cup before we leave.

Anyway, now it's the start. Roughly every two weeks from now until September we will be pulling up stakes and hauling out of here. 7-1/2 weeks out of 23. Mammoth will be carrying us along, except for the last trip when American Airlines will do the chore. I should be happy, and I am--
If only it would rain.


View out the window:


No comments: