Sunday, December 18, 2022

 [Mis]Adventures in Cooking

It's been a while, but then, I haven't been cooking in a while. But based on the internet recommendations and rave reviews, I tried a new sugar cookie recipe, a "no chill" recipe.

And I say, what's so bad about chilling, anyway?  Most recipes--including my beloved 40-year-old recipe hand copied out of an unknown cookbook--have you shape the dough into a disc, wrap it tightly or put it in a lidded bowl so it won't dry out, then chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so. That firms it up so you can roll it out.

This recipe adds an extra cup of flour instead, resulting in a dry, tasteless, and very crumbly cookie. She uses almond extract instead of nutmeg, too. But I LIKE the nutmeg.

So no go. Also I realize that my patience and artistic finess for icing and hand-decorating cookies is somewhat lacking at the end of a long and tiring day with three screaming children in the house. 




No comments: