Monday, May 29, 2023

Wildly mildly amusing

 The Wilder Widows: Wilder Ever After
by Katherine Hastings

Good...but not as good as the first one. Was it just because I knew the four ladies and what to expect out of their reactions to the wild and crazy situations they found themselves in?  Or was it that I had unrealistic expectations that their adventures would be even wilder and crazier this time? Probably both. But it was still very good!

I'd still try reading a third one in the series, if there is one...

I was listening to an audiobook for this, and so I couldn't skip the endless repetition that hurts Ms. Hastings' writing. She stresses every point--for example, Sylvie doesn't just love her widowed friends, she loves them and loves them and loves them. That particular point must have been repeated fifty or sixty times. And her husband-to-be isn't just her "true love", her "soul mate", her "missing other half", but all those things in one--over and over again.  If all the repetition had been trimmed out of the narrative, it would have been a novella. A very short novella.

But some parts were very good, especially the cruise. I can't go into details, but I really enjoyed the concept and the battle between Alice and "Jessica Rabbit" over the handsome...[can't reveal]...person.

And I have to share one good quote:
    the best things in life are just outside of your comfort zone.


No comments: