Saturday, April 27, 2024

Book review: American Ramble

American Ramble: A Walk of Memory and Renewal
Neil King Jr.

I listened to this book while jogging, and I was enjoying it so much that on the rare occasions when my surroundings distracted me from hearing about his journey, I backed up the audio and repeated. I didn't want to miss a step.

He describes in really precise detail a journey from his home in Washington D.C. to New York City, ending at the Ramble in Central Park. I'll leave it to the book blurb to tell you why he went, how long it took, and how he fared along the way. I'll just say that what he found along the way astonished me. He was walking in historic places, and at times met up with people who could tell him all about them--Valley Forge; unknown graves; peoples and places gone by. But he was also walking through the modern world, and some of the people he met up with were very much in that world.

He approached them all with what I'd term the "journalist's" mind--he listened or questioned or argued but all without expressing his own strong opinions. I came away not knowing much about his own politics, religion, or environmentalist views, but I did experience a delightfully diverse cross-section of other people's.

Delightful--it's a lovely word. And it's how I'd describe this book.



No comments: