Thursday, June 27, 2024

Review: Mother, Nature

Mother, Nature: A 5,000-Mile Journey to Discover if a Mother and Son Can Survive Their Differences
by Jedidiah Jenkins

Very interesting. I almost didn't read this, because some reviewers had complained that the conflict was never resolved--how could a gay, left-leaning son and a fundamentalist, born-again Christian mother ever come to accept each other for what they were? How could they quit hurting and disappointing each other, just by the lifestyle they chose to endorse? I guess some readers thought it was going to end differently. But I thought I'd see for myself, and I was okay with the ending. Never resolved, adequately or otherwise, but explored to the point where you understood that it was okay never to be resolved.

But there was a lot more to the story than that, issues of life and death and aspiration and disappointment, and always, a fun exploration of places and people of America. Very much to like about that.


No comments: