Saturday, June 15, 2024

Review: Under Desert Skies

 Under Desert Skies: How Tucson Mapped the Way to the Moon and Planets
Melissa L. Sevigny

I'm embarrassed to be giving up on this. It's extremely well-researched and kind of interesting, but just not to my taste. It's really (or at least at the point where I quit), nothing to do with Tucson the city, but rather all about the astronomy centers and telescopes in the Tucson area. I had thought it was going to be a big drama about how the observatory staff convinced the people and businesses of the city to turn down their lights at night, keeping the light pollution from destroying their work place. And that part may have been coming, but at halfway through, all I'd read had been simply history of the observatories and the people who worked there. Important history, but dry.



No comments: