Sunday, August 11, 2013

Book 64. Ahead of schedule again.


I substituted The Secret Of The Mansion by Julie Campbell for the next book on my list, which was to have been A Gift Of Magic by Lois Duncan.  A Gift of Magic was reviewed by many people as "okay, not one of her better books" and also, it was not at the library.  I would have had to order another mass-market paperback for $3.00 plus $3.99 shipping.

So I've cheated on my challenge twice--and don't feel guilty about it.  The book I read was the first in a long series of Trixie Belden mysteries and deserved as well as any to be on the list.  If I'd read it as a kid, I'd have searched out and gobbled down them all and it may well have launched me on a career to be a mystery writer.  My life from then on would have been very, different, thank you, and I wouldn't be sitting in a dirty, decrepit house watching sunlight reflect off drooping orange balloons to make ghostly apparitions on the walls.


Oh, yes--the book.  It's kid rather than teen, just like the last one, it's shallow, light, and friendly; and I loved it.   It proves you don't have to have Centaurs to write a great kid's book.  (Not that I've anything against centaurs.  I'm just saying.)

No comments: