Sunday, August 18, 2013

Yummy Sunday afternoon escape

The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts--this book rocked.  I sucked in down in a couple of hours and wished for a sequel.  Recommended for any young teen or young-at-heart teenage wannabe.

All that said, I really disliked the writing in here.  The story rocked, but the writing got on my nerves.  I don't think it's Ms. Roberts' fault--she wrote Don't Hurt Laurie and there was nothing wrong with the writing in there.  I think the problem was that someone or something convinced her that she couldn't write in first person and have the book be taken seriously.

Seriously, schmeriously--this book clamored for a first person perspective.  I don't recall any point where the action took place outside the observance on the main character.  We were always in her head, but sometimes, we didn't always feel like we were in her head.

No comments: