Thursday, January 16, 2014

Finished an audiobook--does that count?


Over Sea, Under Stone (Book #1 in The Dark Is Rising Sequence)
by Susan Cooper


Aha!  No wonder this seemed so familiar.   I'd read the second book in the sequence, five years ago (or so.) 

I didn't like the second book all that much, but I did like this one.  Was the difference listening to it instead of reading it?  Possibly.

The action sequences are good, almost thrilling.  And the adventure of the three kids is well told and pretty much fun.  Only their personalities seemed a little flat--I didn't know them like I wanted to.   If I were the target audience, which I presume is 10 to 12-year-olds, I'd be panting to read the rest of the five books that seem to make a complete subset of a series that might go on forever.  But I'm not the target audience, and while I "kind of" want to finish it, I can wait.  Someday, if nothing else turns up, I might.

No comments: