Tuesday, January 14, 2014

It's the little things that make us happy

Okay, it's the great big things too.

Yesterday I was jogging and staring at the IPod in my hand when a car passed by.  What he saw--the unseen driver of the unknown car--wouldn't have struck him as anything unusual.  We've all seen it; we see it every day.  The grocery shopper with a phone in one hand, yakking away as he loads up his cart.  The theatergoer with bowed head, doing a last scan of email before the curtain rises.  The table of teenagers in the food court, sharing time and space but each holding their own little world in their palm.

I never expected to be one of them, yet there I was.  In defense of myself, I have to explain that I was trying to figure out why my book was seeming to jump chapters--had it gotten accidentally set on "shuffle"?   Listening to a book with the Ipod in shuffle mode can be unusually challenging.   But whatever my excuse, I was choosing to look down instead of up.  Fixing my eyes on a 2x5-inch screen instead of sun and trees and clouds.  Keeping my brain firmly enclosed in the man-made world while my feet pounded pavement...and even the feet were wrapped up in plastic and nylon.  I was insulated--bound up in my bubble.

I read the other day about how vitamin B-12 deficiency was rare in vegetarians of the old days, possibly because poorer food washing procedures left traces of soil which contains the microorganisms that produce B-12.   It's also true that plants grown in healthy soil will absorb B-12, but I prefer to think that it's the dirt in the eyes of my home-grown potatoes that is bestowing a gift from Mother Nature.  We often treat Mother Nature like the fallen star in Stardust and apply the curse the witch put on--you will neither hear her nor feel her; you will not see her even if she is standing right in front of you.

Not that I want to see dirt.  I can't abide dirt on my food.  I wouldn't buy potatoes with clumps of sticky mud.  I wash spinach in three changes of water to eliminate any clinging sand.  When I bring in a bunch of bean pods carrying cute little "green loper" caterpillars, I banish the livestock to the compost bucket.  I'd rather pop a pill than eat a worm.

But I'm going off-topic here.  The point is, I am just as likely as the next person to banish Mother Nature from my daily existence. I'll turn on a book while driving on a limited-access freeway; text silly messages to my kids when I'm stuck in line at the grocery store; surf the web in my palm when I'm waiting at the movie theater.  But when I'm outdoors, in her world, I ought to be there.  To be looking up and out and around; hearing birds instead of words; seeing the litter at the sides of the road (otherwise how would I think to pick it up?) I should be thinking about the wind blowing against my cheeks and the uneven tilt of rocks under my feet; the funny scuffling noise my shoes make on gravel. 

And maybe if I didn't have the man-made world in my palm I'd spend less time driving on freeways, standing in line, or waiting for the movie to start.  Maybe I'd spend less time killing time.

No comments: