Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Crusades, King Richard, and an enigma in horsehair





Blood Red Horse
by K.M.Grant




I'm seriously conflicted about this one.  I listened to it on CD but I think it needed to be read on paper.  I can read faster than someone can talk, and the dragging dragging dragging parts would have made for quick reading.  (My brother says I skim instead of read, but that's a lie!)   Like many other YA novels I've read, there are too many passages of internal angst expressed as questions.  Will I ever have a life?  How can I stand this?  Will I ever see home again?

So.  It's a fabulous story--characters so real you can taste them--war and the holy crusades in all shades of living color--the perfect balance between imagery and action--

But don't give up halfway.  I was tempted to and I'm glad I didn't.  There are some gruesomely painful passages, but they--sadly--make the story real.  People do learn from their mistakes.  Well...some people learn from some of their mistakes.  Any more would be telling.


No comments: