Tuesday, May 6, 2014

I love that picture

           The Tenth Muse:  My Life in Food

           By Judith Jones

I guess this book goes on my cookbook shelf.  I didn't know it had recipes in it!
There are even a couple of recipes I'd like to try.   But I do wish the editor had intermixed the recipes in with the text and maybe included a few more of them.  Crammed at the end and out of context, they weren't as interesting.

As a memoir goes, this is a good one...especially if you are a foodie interested in the history of modern American cooking.  Which I'm not--not a foodie, anyway.  But I'm interested in the history of modern American anything--food, music, dialect, forensics--whatever.   The name dropping of the various chefs and cooks she worked with in the course of her "life in food" didn't keep my attention.  I knew some of the names, of course, but not all of them and not nearly enough to be excited when they appeared on the printed page.

Note that you won't see any posts on cooking this week.  I lost the heart and only fixed food for the family, not me.  Instead I'm exploring the vegan options of fast food.  So far I've hit:

1. Subway veggie delight sandwich with guacamole --bland and the guacamole didn't taste like avocados at all.   There are two other dishes I can try there, so better luck next time.

2. Chipotle salad with cilantro-lime rice, black beans, salsa and guacamole--good guacamole!  Great as always--wish it were twice as big.  Also I added on the grilled vegetables this time, yum.  A little expensive--about $8.50 compared to the $4 I spent on the sub.



No comments: