Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Fan-FICTION-girl

Fangirl
by Rainbow Rowell

I loved everything about this book except the name.  I'd have called it Fanfic Girl.  You all do know what fan fiction is, don't you?

I'll tell you.  It's an alternate universe created by those who really, really don't want to let the story end.  Give me a book/movie/manga/anime that's popular with young people, and I'll find you a fan fiction site dedicated to it.  People write their own stories based on the worlds and characters they know and love so well, and the story just keeps going on.  Or backward, or sideways, or upside-down.

And in the case of Cather, our just starting college freshman, writing fanfic can be better than real life.  Or maybe not--we'll see.

There's a lotta lotta romance in here--it's not for the faint of heart.  I talked back to the narrator a time or too--enough with the mushy stuff!  Get on with the story!   if I'd been the editor I'd have trimmed out a lot of the repetition toward the end.  There's only so many times I can read about what part of his face she kissed and how that felt.  Yuuck.

The end, while not exactly disappointing, left one of the subplots wide open.  Could we possibly convince the author to write a sequel from the perspective of Ren, the sister?



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice post.thank you so much for share.
Please check out my site Website development company