Saturday, June 6, 2015

Making food difficult





The Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken
by Laura Schenone


A man goes on a journey.  Classic start, right?  Too boring, though...let's make it...
A woman goes on a quest for her family ravioli recipe.
Better, but better still is...

A woman wants to reconnect with something real, something from her family history, and uses a mystery ingredient in a ravioli recipe as an excuse to dedicate years of her life to research, travel and interviews.  It's a deranged assignment, as Julie Powell says.  And like Powell's, it makes a darn good story.

With recipes.  I'm sure the recipes are great, too, but they're almost all to difficult to contemplate.   Too much mounding and rolling and kneading and flipping.   Even if I went to the machines--the stand mixer and the pasta machine (which I don't have), could I do it?

Nah.  I'll leave fresh pasta to the Italians.


No comments: