Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Absolutely great...except for overuse of a certain unfunny joke

Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore
by Robin Sloan

I've never learned so much while listening to such a weird and wild story.  I didn't know whether to recommend it as educational or entertainment, so I did a little research...

The answer is "entertainment".   Some of the places and systems he describes don't seem to exist, or else they're so secret that an Internet search can't find them.  Probably they're just plain imagination--but he describes them so masterfully that I believed every word.  Are Google's product managers really selected by chance?  Is there really a huge, automated warehouse in Vegas that stocks tons of random museum-worthy artifacts?  Is there a real fantasy trilogy called The Dragonsong Chronicles?  Was Albus Menutius a real person?

I believed it all.  It's like one of those dreams that get confused with reality and you wake up shaking your head.  That real.



\The overused joke I refer to might actually be funny to you, so I can't cite it here.


No comments: