Sunday, July 12, 2015

Mystery Irish style



In The Woods
by Tana French

Drat.  I liked this so much and then, pretty near the end,  the author had to indulge in a bunch of stupid hint-dropping.  Where was the editor?  Did they get tired of marking out the stupid narrator's “little did I know” comments, assuming that if you’d read three-quarters of the way through, you’d put up with a few at the end?

They almost spoiled it for me.  It’s what I think could be called a “police procedural” with a lot of human beings and emotions mired in along the way…quite deliciously.  Cool Irish rural atmosphere.  She set up the denouement quite cleverly—I didn’t guess it at all, but when it happened, it made sense.  I hope she brings back the lady detective in a sequel, if there is one, but I don’t dare check until I get this posted.  I don’t want to bias my personal option by confusing my brain with the rankings of others.

Rating decided; I can go check now.  But the question is, do I want another?





Homebodies by Charles Addams


I can't rate or review this--the cartoons didn't fare well in their journey to a small paperback format.  Fully half were undecipherable.  The ones I could see were vaguely amusing and in their time, side-splitting.  But I'd seen the TV series, which spoiled them.

No comments: