Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Dratted disappointment

Elske
by Cynthia Voigt


Gosh, I love Cynthia Voigt's books so much...and I just didn't like this one.  I don't think this is her genre--it's like a Conan the Barbarian fantasy complete with made up peoples and made up places.  Heroic fantasy, is that what they call it?  The heroine, Elske, starts the story as the Death Maiden attending at the king's funeral.  It's her job to be raped by all the king's top-ranked warriors, then be buried with the king to serve him in the afterlife.  What kind of servant that might make her is never to be explained, but I bet it's not one the king's going to enjoy.

Needless to say the story goes on after that, so there's not a lot of suspense about it.  There's not a lot of suspense anywhere, and the fighting scenes are blah and even the human emotional encounters--Ms. Voigt's specialty--left me unexcited.

Sorry.  Maybe it's me.

No comments: