Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Halfway good

Wildflower

At first I enjoyed Drew Barrymore's memoir because it reminded me of some of my young friends. The way she spoke, her approach to life--it hit a familiar note and made me nostalgic.  When that experience wore off, I kept on listening because certain parts were almost unbearably insightful, like her descriptions of living in an apartment with her mother and her absent relationship with her grandfather. Her deep friendships with Stephen Spielburg and Adam Sandler were funny AND touching.

But I'm sorry to say that a good bit of the rest isn't anything special for the general reader. Letters to one's children are sweet and touching--they need to be written and they need to be preserved and hers are great examples of the genre...but did they need to be published?

Oh, well. She warned me at the beginning. it's not a typical memoir.

No comments: