Tuesday, October 4, 2016

My new hero

My Beloved World
by Sonia Sotomayor

Wow wholy amazing stupendous. Autobiography and essay by a person with more
brains in her little finger than I ever could cram into my whole stupid head. Wow.

Okay, I'm in love. But honestly--could she be telling the truth? Could she not? How can a poor girl from the projects end up a justice on the United States Supreme Court? She says, brains, perseverance, and a blessed life.  I say brains, perseverance, and a freaking awesome family. 

But the funny thing is, she started off disadvantaged in the family department, with an alcoholic father and a distant mother and an empty apartment full of embarrassment and anger. But she had grandmothers and aunts and uncles and cousins. She knew the coziness of a grandmother's kitchen, the fun of a family party, the camaraderie of cousins your own age, and the help of uncles and aunts who cared to make a difference.  They did.

And don't get me wrong about the disadvantages--the alcoholic father was a good man who held down a job and cooked for his family and never hurt his kids. He just checked out of life once each day. And the distant mother was trying hard, but so overcome with her own pain and inadequacy that it took her years to learn how to be the mother her kids needed.

Enough--I've said too much. Judge Sotomayor became who she is through self-discipline and hard work.  And if the book gets a little preachy at times, I consider that just fine. She's earned the right to speak out. I hope she keeps on--and I know she will.

No comments: