Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Not inspiring enough

Running: A Love Story
by Jen A. Miller

Drat me--I should have written some notes while I was reading this instead of waiting until two weeks after I finished.  In any event, I obviously didn't love Running: a love story.  That I would have remembered.  You could almost say I tolerated it.

The all-too-common story of a person with self-esteem problems (I guess) who chose to wrap her life around one man after another, trying endlessly to please a person who would be forever unpleasable....  Yeah, you're heard it.  She tells it fairly well and fairly honestly, but when it comes to her ultimate escape from the cycle--

Well, I guess I missed that. It happened and I know what it looked like while it was happening and after it happened, but what was going on internally?  I don't know.  In a way it's like the way that depressed people often spontaneously recover and no one really knows why or how.  I wished she'd tried a little harder on the internals.

No comments: