Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Not for me but definitely for others

Magic, loads of magic. A villain--well, no--a whole forest of villains with a reason for their blind hate of all creatures. A tough-minded heroine with heart and an enigmatic wizard of indeterminate age but considerable hotness.

What's not to love?

I guess it was me. While I liked this immensely, I didn't love it. It deserved to be loved and I hope everyone else who reads it enjoys it as fully as I didn't. With one exception: I absolutely adored the way the wizard's and the witch's magic were totally different in nature yet equally powerful in effect. His magicks didn't work for her, and hers were often unintelligible to him. Cool concept.  Ms. Novik might have taken that even further but it would have dragged down the story. She's a show, don't tell, author, in the best way.


No comments: