Monday, February 27, 2017

Roughly, amusing

Roughing it
by Mark Twain

I made this note while listening to the audiobook:
So far the only laugh-out-loud episode has been the one about the stagecoach ride to somewhere and the story of the guy who wanted to get there fast.  It was hilarious!

I was pretty far along when I made that note--at least halfway.  Or so I thought.  It seemed to go on for a long time after that.  I recall a funny dialog of the communication (failure thereof) over the burial of so-and-so between a native of the west and a minister from the east.  And a really short but really funny story about a guy that Twain knew in San Francisco--a horrid bore who always had to jump into Twain's conversations and one-up him.

There was plenty to smile at, it's just I was expecting a lot more to laugh at. I was bored to tears at some of his people portraits.  And when he commenced to reading from the book of Mormon for some hundred pages or more (probably not so many but it seemed that way!), yuck.

Oddly enough, I found the stories of his trip to the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) absorbing.  I'd been to those places he visited, and the description had a lot of lovely detail.

So I'll give this a yes and no. I think a person could still get "the gist" of it and have a lot more enjoyment by just skipping forward when it starts to bog down.


No comments: