Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Recipe Reduction 70-69

 Roasted Veggie Spreaddip
from hungry-girl.com

As a spread for a veggie sandwich, this would be pretty good. As a dip for vegetables, okay but bland. But as a low-calorie, healthful alternative to hummus, this is tops! No added oil other than the low-fat yogurt. It needed some sort of spice...cayenne pepper? Will try.

I nearly cried when I read the recipe. See this:
Halve the head of garlic widthwise, exposing the cloves. Remove papery outer layer from the bottom half, leaving skins around cloves intact. (Discard or reserve the top half for another use.) 
Discard??? Discard??? Throw away HALF A HEAD OF GARLIC? What kind of person would do that?  What kind of person would even write that?

I'm not a child of the depression but my mother was, and I can tell you, she'd come back and slap me with an iron skillet if she saw me throwing away half of a head of precious garlic. It's not the cost of it--it's the waste.



Tuna With Sprouts

(One of my non-recipe recipes. Why did I save it?)

Tuna is good with sprouts. But tuna is not good because it's almost impossible to find sustainably harvested tuna. I'm eating my last can rather than throw it away symbolically, but it will be a long time before I guy another one.

No comments: