Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Recipe Reduction 81-80

Beef With Cumin
from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook

Sorry I lost the pictures for these.

I liked it a lot. I used a couple of grassfed strip steaks--unbelievably expensive--and I did a good job of following the instructions and not letting my oil get cold. It had me marinade the meat with potato starch, soy sauce and rice vinegar; deep fry in oil for just a minute; drain well; then add to a stir-fry of garlic, ginger and green onion.

But the problem was that it was just meat and a little onion. No veggies and no sauce--it didn't feel like a meal.  If this had been served alongside a mixed vegetable stir fry with a light but rich sauce, it would have been magnificent!

No problem for me, though. Since my partner didn't care for it without sauce, I got to eat all the leftovers.

Blueberry Peach Cobbler
by Joanne eats well with others,  adapted from Cooking Light

Ah, a throwback to the cobbler of my childhood. Except no Bisquick. My mom used to make those magic cobblers where you put the topping on the bottom and it rises above the fruit as it cooks.  Sorry, mom, but I like this better--less like a sponge and more like a pie.

It was very good, except I forgot the blueberries and my peaches were half plums.  I'm going to mark it as made. At least, in the spirit of, made.  Seventy-nine recipes to go. Sigh.

No comments: