Sunday, July 8, 2018

Recipe Reduction 90-89




Summer Fruit Crostada
by Ina Garten

NOTE to self: when the crust of a fruit pie isn't getting brown so you leave it in the oven 14 minutes longer than the longest of the recipe's cook times, check that the bottom isn't burning!

This is the sort of recipe I'd expect to find in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Butter. A lot of butter. Butter in the crust, butter in the topping. And sugar. A lot of sugar.

Yummy, but not an everyday dessert. Save those calories for special occasions.




Okra fritters
from The Doss Family Cookbook

 

 Make a batter of okra, onion, tomato, bell pepper, cornmeal, flour and egg.





Fry it in patties in hot oil.If you truly love okra, and I do, you'll expect miracles. Don't waste your energy.


My first batch was nicely browned outside, but the veggies inside were still raw. And bland! How is it possible to make such beautiful vegetables taste so bland?


I cooked the second batch longer, but there wasn't much oil left in the pan and I refused to add more--I already knew I didn't like them, so what's the point of making them more fattening?  I was going to have to eat them--they weren't that hideous--so why not feel virtuous while I suffered?

No comments: