Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Lunch (minus) meat woes

Not having brought lunch today on account of "plans" that fell through, I went over to Tom Thumb Grocery to see what I could scavenge. I was craving salad. There's a Braum's next door, but their "garden salad" consists of iceberg lettuce, cabbage, carrots and cheese.  Tom Thumb had a lot to choose from: roast beef club, chicken club, Asian chicken, sesame chicken, chicken chicken.... I finally found one that didn't feature meat--triple cheese melt.

So that's the story of American food--you can only eat salad if it's topped with meat or cheese. No chance of roasted squash, chickpeas, quinoa, black beans...any of the delightful things I love to put on a salad.

Giving up on the salad, I took a glance at the sandwich stand. No waiting in line, there--grocery store sandwich shops are almost always deserted. But all of the featured sandwiches were based on meat or cheese.  Has no one but me ever spread toasted bread with hummus and piled it high with roasted vegetables and sliced olives? What about refried bean sandwiches topped with lettuce, tomato and guacamole? What about pesto spread piled high with sprouts, cucumber and garbanzo beans?

I'm making myself hungry.  I guess that's why I need to always bring my lunch even if I think I have plans.

No comments: