Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Birds--and where to see them




Birds of Texas
by Keith A Arnold and Gregory Kennedy

This was my Christmas vacation reading and now it needs to go back to the library. But I want to keep it!  Unfortunately, no one gave me a bookstore gift card.

The pictures are not great. Barely adequate in some cases, and they don't consistently show adult male, adult female, and immature for each bird. It's the descriptions that make the book worth-while. Much like allaboutbirds.com, the Cornell University BIrding web site, this has separate bullets for ID, size, status, habitat, nesting, feeding, voice, similar species, and--my personal favorite--best sites. For example, the best places to see a Clapper Rail are Sea Rim SP, Anahuac NWR, Galveston Island SP,...

Now I need to go look up the locations of all these places.

No comments: