Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Gardening In My Roots, time begins again

(The time begins again quote was stolen from Barbara Kingsolver)

Last Sunday I wrote this:
It's January 20 and apparently the growing season has begun. After yesterday morning's cold front left us shivering all day, today dawned clear--but cold--and unwindy.  All morning the sky was bonnie blue and the air had no creepy cold movement, at all.

So after accidentally setting out on the noon-time dog walk without my coat on, having to backtrack to get it and if you know dogs on a walk, they don't like backtracking, by the time we came home I had a hankering to visit the garden. With a digging fork.

The ground was wet but not sodden. I turned over the spot designated for snap peas, dug a wheelbarrow of compost out of the pile and spread it, and planted peas. Yippee! Last year's leftover seed so it may not do so much, but the new seed is ordered and on the way.

I also dug and composted the beet bed.  My homemade compost is not of the best quality, but it does sort of look like compost.  By the way, does having lots of worms in your soil mean it's healthy?  Lots and lots?  Including a nightcrawler so fat he looked like a small snake.  The fish I could have caught with that one....



No comments: